Thursday, May 24, 2012

Even her hair looked fit



     Never got a fitness tip from a hairdresser before -- until tonight.
     My usual cutter wasn’t available, so I had my hair trimmed by a long-haired, shapely young woman who chatted as only hairdressers – and bartenders – can.
     I was concerned because I had been late for the appointment and didn’t want to keep her beyond her quitting time, so I asked what time that was.
     She said not to worry, that she was off in a half-hour but that she and some other young women from the shop were heading straight over to Pinkerton Academy, the regional high school in Derry, N.H.
     They go there often, she said. They race around the track – four laps make a mile – and/or run around on the wooded trails, THEN they run up and down the bleacher stairs a few times to stay in shape.
     Sounds like great practice for the White Mountains hut climb I’ll be making in less than a month – or great practice for anyone.
     And who doesn’t have a high school track somewhere near them?

No comments:

Post a Comment