Thursday, August 30, 2012

Starting a new job, at 64



After five years as editor of the Woburn Advocate, this week I started a new job as editor of the Concord (Mass.) Journal.
     It’s a larger paper, with an engaged, exacting readership, and I am grateful for the challenge.
     I’m still getting my feet wet, but already I have fallen in love with some of the town’s female elders.
     There’s Dot, who’s 90-something and writes a weekly column for the paper, delivering it by hand every Thursday.
     And Phebe, who’s lived in places as far-flung as China, helped start a local feminist group in the 1970s and still motors around town on her trademark bicycle.
     And Marion, now in assisted living, who knows more about Concord’s historic cemeteries, and the famous authors buried there, than anyone alive.
     Those are just three of the people I’ve met so far.
     I think I’m going to like it here.

3 comments:

  1. You'll like it and they'll love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to keep life interesting Congrats! and I agree with the above comment . . . the are going to love you. All the best, Nina

    ReplyDelete