Sunday, June 3, 2012

The stroll that wasn't

Pamplona, Spain has its running of the bulls, popularized by Ernest Hemingway, among many others.
     Brattleboro, Vermont has its strolling of the heifers, popularized by no one you ever heard of.
     It’s an annual parade in the quirky border town (bordering New Hampshire, that is), held the first Saturday of June, featuring marching bands, acrobats, cow-themed floats and – yes – people parading their heifers.
     Rick and I set off yesterday morning with every intention of attending this wacky event, to be followed by a party and camping on the 600 acres owned by one of Rick’s friends outside Brattleboro. But there was the little matter of… pouring rain.
     As we drew closer and close to our destination, and the rain came harder and harder, we decided to forget the parade part and just go the party, which we did. Good food, good music, good company. Nevertheless, I was so tired from a grueling week at work, that I left the party at 8:30 and was asleep in the camper by 9.
     But I didn’t want you to miss out on what the parade looks like, so here’s a version from three years ago I stole from UTube.
     Next year, I promise I’ll make my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment