Sunday, March 25, 2012

The begging woman


     I had gone into a grocery store in Woburn, Mass. to buy flowers for a friend. Leaving, I walked through the automatic doors just behind another shopper pushing her full grocery cart.
     A woman standing outside near the entrance turned to us both. She was slim, maybe 50, with lank hair and a distraught expression, her mouth set in a small grim line, like a hyphen.
     “Can you spare…” she began, but the other shopper pushed past, as I normally do, shaking her head “no” vigorously.
     I headed for my car but something made me turn back. The woman was crying.
     I went over. “What did you ask?” I said.
     “I asked if you could spare some money for food,” she said, the tears still spilling.
     So I did something I’ve never done before.  I said yes, and reached into my purse. I had $30 that was supposed to last until my next paycheck in two weeks. I gave her $10.
     “I’m sorry it’s not more,” I said.
     She thanked me, saying I had no idea what this meant to her and went into the store.
     I know, I know, what so many of us think. She’s just going to use it for drugs or alcohol. She should get a job and earn her keep like the rest of us.
     But I know what it’s like to lose a job. And if she used it to buy a bottle of wine, well, that might easily be what I would have used it for, too. I truly don’t care what she did with it. I just felt better having done it.
     What I wish now is that I had said, “Get a grocery cart,” then gone with her through the store as she filled it with items she – or maybe she and her family – needed, before paying for it.
     And I should have given her the flowers.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good that you went back.This reminds me of something a 15-year-old taught me when, with our church youth group, we came upon a man sleeping on a park bench - barefoot. In January. We asked him if we could pick him up some sneakers - we were going in to the Marshall's there in Downtown Crossing. and he said "sure!" and told us his size. We bought him the sneakers and handed them over..

    A few hours later we saw him in another part of the city, again shoeless. I was walking with this 15-year-old and I asked him how he felt about that.

    He said he felt fine about it because if we gave him the shoes and then oversaw his use of them "Well THAT would be no gift; that would just be terms!"

    This was 15 years ago and I've never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete