Saturday, March 17, 2012

Today my boss was a Buddhist carpenter


     Five months ago, a man named Paul – a woodworker by trade -- lost a good portion of his workshop to fire.
     He had no insurance.
     He belongs to a Buddhist community, or sangha, in the seacoast area of New Hampshire, and when the word spread among his friends in the community, there quickly went out a call to arms – or tools.
     Starting at 7:30 this morning, a group of volunteers, including my husband Rick, arrived to start rebuilding the roof with materials that had been precut by Paul and others. Some dozen people participated, and the work went quickly.
     I arrived much later, 12:30 p.m., with my chief contribution to the day, a huge pasta salad made with shamrock-shaped pasta in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. But I also helped carry several pieces of galvanized steel roofing across the yard – a first for me – to help with the rebuilding project.
     It was like an old-fashioned barn raising, and it reminded me so much of the value of community.
     Rick and I are not really members of the sangha – just people who go to the Buddhist center for occasional workshops or meditation events, but I enjoyed being in the company of these kind people in this setting away from the center shrine.
     More than anything, I loved seeing the power of what a few people can do when they pitch in a helping hand all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment