Thursday, April 26, 2012

Going (more) organic


For the first time in my life, I bought some organic seedlings yesterday.
     Rick and I try to buy organic produce whenever possible, to avoid all the pesticides, insecticides and possibly carcinogenic whatevers in the food we ingest, so it made sense to go organic with the plants we are going to put in the ground, as well.
     I have bought organic SEEDS before as, apparently, many others have. I was surprised and pleased to see that WalMart now carries a whole display of organic seeds, under the name brand Seeds of Change, next to its regular Burpee and other seed containers.
     And there are some things that should only go in the ground as seeds – mesclun lettuce mixes and arugulas, or peas, for example – but I have had rotten luck growing some things from seed indoors. My tomatoes, for one, get all leggy and frail-looking and are never as robust as they should be by the time I plant them.
     So, organic seedlings seemed the way to go. I only bought some cold-weather seedlings – leaf lettuces, mainly – but I like the place where I got them, Tulip Tree Farm in Hampstead, N.H. It’s run by a young mother with long shiny hair who has a whole greenhouse full of tender seedlings she seems to treat as part of her extended family. Heirloom tomato seedlings are among them.
     I told her I’d be back sometime in May, to get tomatoes and other warm-weather plants.
     In the meantime, anybody need any rhubarb? I’ve got tons.

No comments:

Post a Comment