Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What? An aerobics class where they play Frank Sinatra?



     Today I went to my first “Silver Sneakers” class which, according to my gym club’s website, is meant to provide a gentle workout for older gym-goers.
     I had my suspicions. I recently went to a “Zumba gold” class – described as a slower-paced class for older dancers – and thought I should have been hospitalized afterwards.
     But it was true. I walked into the exercise room and saw… chairs! And really nice people, 20 of ‘em, all, I believe, older than me, which was delightful in itself.
     The teacher started us off with some gentle side-to-side taps, some marching in place, a little mambo action and grapevines – which activity had some of the participants holding on to their chairs as they moved.
     Then we sat down and did some slow, basic free weight exercises – bicep curls, tricep movements, you get the drift – followed by similar exercises using resistance bands and, finally, more stand-up movements and some stretches.
     I never broke a sweat. Not sure I’ll take this class again because it wasn’t quite enough of a challenge, but I loved the way it incorporated free weights, which few classes seem to do.
    And after not picking up a free weight in months, I can tell you I am now SORE right down to my silver sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment