Thursday, October 11, 2012

Connecting with a late husband's first wife

It sounds so strange, I know. But I hope to make a small contribution to a book that is being partly written by my late husband Jim Ragsdale’s first wife – the same woman to whom he was married (though they were separated) when Jim and I fell in love. The book is about the historic home they lived in – one in which I also resided for a time. But I care less about the book than about the relationship that Karen and I have managed to sustain across miles and time for more than two decades. Not that we’ve been best friends. Our contacts have been infrequent, but caring. She’s a remarkable woman. The first time we met, under the most awkward of circumstances, she simply gave me a hug. When Jim died, she took me out to lunch one day. She was happily remarried, and had no cause to reach out except kindness. She included me, and later Rick and me, in a couple of family get-togethers. We’d been out of touch (except for Christmas cards) for some time, but when I got a letter asking me to contribute to the book project, I was happy to respond. We’re talking about getting together for lunch to discuss it. I look forward to it. Our shared history might not be one most people would celebrate, but what could be better than spending time with a creative, big-hearted woman? There should be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment