Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Restored faith in humanity

Monday is my lottery ticket-buying day. I do it once a week – no more, no less – and for those of you who pooh-pooh this exercise, I can only tell you that I am my mother’s daughter. She loved scratch tickets and I can’t tell you how many hours we spent giggling over our tiny wins and fantasizing about the big one that would certainly come later. Anyway, this past Monday, I stopped in at the usual gas station to pick up this week’s tickets and I asked the guy behind the counter for four $5 tickets. “Not those,” I said, as he reached for one of those word game tickets that take too long to scratch. So he handed me four tickets and I gave him my $20 and left. Only when I got home and Rick and I were scratching the four (I do let him in on the fun) did I realize that I had four TWO-DOLLAR tickets, not five-dollar ones, and the guy had squeezed me for twelve bucks. Not only that, but there were only $6 worth of winnings in the four. I was indignant. All the next day I stewed at work over how to confront the scammer. Surely he would remember my handing him the $20, but would he admit it? Should I demand the name of his supervisor and relate what had happened? Should I shame him in front of other customers? Finally, the long work day ended and I stopped back at the same gas station. He wasn’t there. In his place was a young, intelligent-looking woman wearing thick glasses and green fingernail polish. I was flummoxed. “You probably can’t help me,” I began, “but yesterday…” and I told the tale. “Oh, but I can,” she replied, and reached over next to the cash register to pull out a receipt with $12 neatly folded in it and numbers showing how a lottery customer was owed this money. The young man I had so vilified in my head had taken the time to set things right in case I came back. What could I do? I told her to thank him, put together the $12 and my $6 in winnings and bought three more $5 tickets. One of them is worth $10. And tomorrow, of course, I plan to turn it in and buy two more, going after that really big win. And if I hit, some guy who works behind a gas station counter is going to get SUCH a tip.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story Kathie.So often, we think of things that we wished we'd said or done to repair a wrong.....yet others don't know of our thoughts....unless we act.
    It made me remember something I read that really liked that explained that instead of being afraid to try something you've always wanted to but been afraid to, worrying about what could go wrong& what if things didn't work, to flip it and think about all of the things that could go right, and what if things DID work, what then? It's just as possible , the hope, the beauty, and the fun of thinking on the sunny side of the street....I wonder why it isn't more common for us to do this...?

    ReplyDelete