Thursday, October 18, 2012

What earthquake?

I was driving home from work Tuesday after a long day, with my cell phone unintentionally turned off, when I heard it ping that I had a message. It was Rick’s voice. He said he was sitting in the studio outbuilding that is set in a grove of beech trees at the back of our property, the place we call The Beech House. “Mark the time, 7:12 p.m.,” his voice said. “The building just shook for about 10 seconds. I think we just had an earthquake.” Yea, right, I thought. But I turned on the radio and immediately heard the last of an initial report that a magnitude four-point-something quake had just struck in York County, Maine and had apparently been felt by everyone in New England (and in some cases, beyond) – except by anyone who – like me -- was behind a wheel. No damage, no one injured. But – bummer! – I missed my first earthquake. Oh, well, I’d rather report that I felt the earth move for other reasons.

1 comment:

  1. "Oh, well, I’d rather report that I felt the earth move for other reasons."

    LOL

    It kinda stunned Dan'l and me. He was sitting in my lap so glad he decided to sit still rather than take off on my legs

    ReplyDelete